miércoles, 8 de julio de 2009

Recovering from the earthquake

I usually don't panic but today I was cooking at about 2:30 p.m., then felt how everything was moving, turn to look at the drapes rattling, heard my boyfriend telling me to "COME ON!!!", got out keys, ran down the stairs, and stayed out our building, waiting for the traffic lights, trees and electricity cables to stop shaking.

There are different stores infront of the building we live in, but everyone was out, frozen, staring at the traffic light that kept shaking. It felt like forever to me, we were a bit scared of going inside the apt again. but we were the only ones out... so we did. I felt my legs shaking, this feeling was new for me.

There are 2 other occasions in wich i remember such strong earthquakes. In the first i was in elementary school, 6th grade. I remember how everything kept shaking, the screams and crying of some very scared children around me, the sound of the radio alert that freaked me out.

The second, i was home, asleep, probably around the same age. Just remember my mom taking me from the wrist out of bed, standing on the kitchen's door frame, watching the shadow of our building moving as if it was made of plastic instead of concrete.

I was one year old when the 1985 earthquake killed thousands in Mexico City. But it's a fear that haunts us... "when's going to happen again?" My mom says that the city changed entirely after 1985. My boyfriend remembers the smell of corpses, says it's something you never forget. My dad, as an employee of the American Embassy back then, helped, as a translator, the rescue brigades from the US that came to help. He has never talked about what he saw, or heard, or smelled.

I TRULY HOPE this never happens again, but days like these make you doubt.

For now no casualties have been reported.
The Earthquake was 5.9 degrees.
It lasted 15 seconds.

MarisolMX

Published originally on iReport

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario